29 August 2011

Wayang Wahyu at the UST Museum


Wayang Wahyu is the use of shadow puppetry which was used by Jesuit Brother Timotheus L. Wignyosubroto to aid him in preaching the Catholic faith in Indonesia. He used the puppets to tell the audience about the biblical stories and parables in a way similar on how stories were narrated in their own culture.
From August 16 to September 21, an exhibit by Baroto Murti Anindito will be displayed at the UST Museum Main Gallery featuring the different shadow puppets. I was really amazed when I first visited the exhibit since prominent biblical figures like Angel Gabriel, Pieta, King Herodes, Mary, Joseph and Jesus Chirst were really given a shadow puppet counterpart, made of painted carabao skin fixed on handles made with carabao horn or bamboo. 

For those who would want to visit the exhibit, the UST Museum is located at the mezzanine level of the UST Main Building, Espana Blvd.,Manila. It is open from Tuesdays to Saturdays, 8:30-4:30PM. Sunday tours are also available by special arrangement with the curator. 

Entrance fee (for Non-Thomasians):
     Professionals   -   50Php
     Students           -   30Php



7 comments:

  1. this is clearly blasphemous. the museum curator should be forced to resign and prosecuted and the priest be put in a retreat far away from the public so he can reflect and repent. other than that, it's beautiful art. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your angst in there. :) Love the sarcasm.haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm serious! i'm calling imelda as i type. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaaah. I just saw this now! I wanna go pero bukas na last day. Huhuhu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @line of light - what did she say about it? :)

    @robbie - dali punta ka na tomorrow! :) Samahan pa kita.hehe

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. :)