26 August 2012

The boy who got engrossed with hamsters

Ian, my 9-year old  brother, talked me to getting him a turtle once he gets better grades in school. I didn't really buy his idea because, for one, I am not really a fan of water-based pets. It's either they smell a whole lot or their aquariums require tedious cleaning. Second, turtles are not really the most fun to watch animals, they move slowly and spend a whole lot of time in their shells, secluding themselves from the unkind world.


For these reasons, I decided to get Ian hamsters instead.

Coincidentally, one of my office mates is a hamster breeder. I ordered a pair (one male, one female) for a bargain price of 50 pesos each. I had fun choosing the cage and other hamster supplies from the pet shop along Vicente Cruz cor. Piy Margal St. I had a limited budget so I only bought the necessary supplies. I'll buy the rest when payday comes.HAHA!  I picked up the hamsters from my office mate's apartment and walked home like a happy, blissful child.

Next thing I knew, I was spending most of my time obsessing myself with my new babies. I was either staring at them as they eat or clean up. I was well worried when they started to fight so I did my research and found out that their breed (Siberian/Teddy bear hamsters) are generally solitary so placing  both of them in a single cage wasn't a very good idea. 

After three days of keeping them, I arrived at home from work only to see several squirming, gummy bear-like creatures at the side of the transparent cage. I quickly removed the male (distinguished as having overgrown testicles), trying not to touch the newborn hamsters since I've read that touching them may alter their smell, causing the mother hamster not to recognize her babies and then later, cannibalize on them. 

Now that I have these baby hamsters, the original plan of giving Ian my hamsters can push through without the separation anxiety I'd have over losing one hamster. I guess I'll keep the mother and her babies first while I bring the male one to Pampanga. Hooray! :)


I love my cute, furry babies! The picture above summarizes it all. Any hamster fanatics around? :)


12 comments:

  1. haha i never had a hamster pet but i think its cool to have some

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamsters are nice to have. Tale good care of them. They are nocturnal so avoid disturbing them during the day. Also, picking them up from above will scare the hell out of them (their prey instinct at work here). Buy a water bottle (for the cage not to be so messy), vitamins, and calcium stone (so that they can trim their teeth). I see you've bought a wheel already. I suggest buy the plastic one with no "grills" one of my hamsters before got trapped on one of those grills and died. :( What else... I think that's all as of the moment. Enjoy having them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh bawal pala sa taas kunin? That's what I always do! I already have a water bottle kaso linilipat lipat ko between the two cages. I'll buy the wheel with no grills soon.

      May sinasabi sila about the vanilla scented wood shredings. Okay ba yun?

      Delete
    2. Hmm... From what I remember, there's this certain wood shavings that is not suitable for hamsters. I forgot na lang kung what specific type yun.

      Delete
    3. Sige ireresearch ko nlng yan :P thanks!

      Delete
  3. We used to have lots of hamsters when we were kids. About the mother turning into a cannibal? We learned that the hard (and gross) way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buti na lang nagresearch muna ako at nawarn ng mabuti. Kundi malamang na hahawak hawakan ko mga yun :P

      Delete
  4. Me I want to have guinea pigs hehe

    :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. parang gusto ko na rin mag-alaga dahil sa mga larawan mo. pero teka may nalaman ako about sa hamster mula sa "Ang Pinaka"

    "The hamster moms can be considered cold blooded killers, pinapatay nila ang kanilang young or eat their own young...!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, pinapatay nga nila pag nag iba yung scent nung anak nila so di mo dapat hawakan mga yun :)

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :)